Friday, July 15, 2005

Getting your way around "customer service" crap

Hay naku, mga Pilipino talaga!!! No, I am not denouncing my being a Filipino. I am proud to be one. I am just enraged with the mediocrity of these so-called customer service people. I am in the service industry myself and I know from experience, how it's like to be on the other line, with an irate customer (like me). But hey, it's all part of the job. People don't get angry for nothing - there has to be a reason for that! For me personally, lousy service is one of my pet peeves.

I have some tips for you guys out there to avoid being given the run around and lame excuses from customer service helpdesks:

Get the person's full name and contact number at the start of the call. When you are told that they are not allowed to give out their names, this is not true. You can bring your concerns to DTI for this and the call center running the said operations can be reprimanded. As a consumer, you have the right to know who is handling your account and who is running with your complaints. That is a consumer right and you have to invoke that. Also, never let a call drop without getting a number from the other person on the other line. This may be a challenge when you speak with customer service folks on a hotline as they don't always have a number to call, nor do they have the ability to transfer calls. If you can't get a number to call, make sure to note the person's name so you can give it to the next agent the next time you call, in case you get dropped.

Be relentless. Sometimes, you just have to be firm and relentless. Don't always take no, next week, next month, tomorrow for an answer. This shouldn't be happening if the company has good customer care processes in place but that sadly, this is the usual case especially when dealing with: government agencies, insurance and assurance agencies, appliance centers and most especially local telephone companies. This may not hold true to all companies under the categories I mentioned but I have had a fair share of the same experience from those agencies under the categories mentioned.

Escalate if necessary. To avoid wasting yours and the agent's time, get the next person in the heirarchy to take your call if the person you are talking to is not very sure of what he/she is talking about. You are a customer and you are entitled to the right information. If you are not confident that you are given accurate information, make sure to get someone who knows.

Document your conversation whenever possible. When you fill out forms in a business center, always make sure you have a duplicate copy and that there is an indication that they have received your form. I have learned my lesson the hard way several times and I vow from this day forward I will be more particular with securing a copy of forms I have submitted and get the person who received it, to sign a receipt. Your form could get lost for all you know and you might be expecting for nothing! For telephone conversations, make sure that you have all the details like the date and time of your call, including the information about the agent like his/her name and agent number and etc.

Make the right connections. My last advise is usually a last recourse kind of thing and should only be used if and when you're tipping the scales of your patience. Although I hate to admit this, the Padrino mentality is still a very common trait among Filipinos and sometimes, you just have to learn to use this to the advantage. You are a victim of the system yourself. It may sound bad as it can lead to abusing the system, sometimes, you just have to do it. If you have the right connections, letting your fingers do the talking with a simple email or text message to get some help following up on your request, might do you some good.

So there goes your list of how-to's. Good luck and have a great weekend ahead!

2 Comments:

At Sat Jul 16, 01:28:00 AM 2005, Blogger matt said...

very useful post. i'll take note of these next i'm having problems with our DSL connection here in the office.

 
At Sat Jul 16, 10:01:00 AM 2005, Blogger `teardrop said...

yeah, thanks. I had the chance to use one of my tips earlier today. I was purchasing an item from an electronics/appliance store in greenbelt 4, which is relatively expensive. I had a membership card with them that earns me points so I get an equivalent appliance the moment I reach a certian number of points. Since the item was quite expensive and would earn me enough points to redeem either a laundry machine or some other stuff, I wanted to have my purchase credited to my card (Who wouldn't?). Unfortunately, I didn't have my card with me so I asked the lady assisting me to just punch the item so I could pay for it and I'll call them right away the moment I get home so they can credit the purchase to my account. I was flat out refused the offer simply because they won't do it. I was so irked that I left that store not purchasing the item.

After walking a few meters, I realized that my fury got the better of me that I forgot to ask for a manager!!! So I went back to the store, asked for a manager and explained what I wanted to happen. The manager kindly assisted me, called up the branch where I applied for my card and 15 minutes later, I walked out of the store with my airport express!

Sometimes, you just have to go extra length to get some things done your way... and yes, it's a sad reality, but some people are really born with a little stupidity in their veins.. (bato bato sa langit ang tamaan wag magagalit!)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home